Paul di Virgilio COMPUMED <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 May 1994 11:22:20 -0400

>    Date: Sun, 29 May 1994 16:06:28 +0200
>    From: Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
>
>    On Sun, 29 May 1994 00:26:00 EDT Russell Nelson <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>    >And, for the right  to complain. NO ONE has that  right over you (except
>    >perhaps for local users who help pay your salary).
>
>    In my  8 years of  experience with LISTSERV,  I haven't come  across many
>    users who realized this, or gave a clout if I pointed it out to them. The
>    hard truth is that people complain anyway, because they think it is their
>    first amendment right, so good luck finding people willing to pay for the
>    "privilege" of complaining. If your service succeeds, it won't be because
>    of that.
>
> Of course losers complain about free service all the time.  But in the
> end, you can ignore them.  I can ignore complaintants, too, but only at the
> peril of my business.
>
> -russ <[log in to unmask]>      ftp.msen.com:pub/vendor/crynwr/crynwr.wav

  I can't help but note that this list seems to be drawn in two
  directions at once. There are a lot of people asking questions about
  improving their lists and correcting mail errors. Then, on the other
  hand, there are people suggesting anonymous mailers and services
  which could only increase the problems. I think the only thing you
  can probably sell is an increased information which is yours in a
  proprietary way or access by the owner to an exclusive list which
  like HPCWIRE passes from the public domain to the private domain
  just as software often does. Most of the peculiar requests seem at
  least in intent to be illegal or at least aimed at increasing the
  difficulties for already bewildered listowners. As for winners and
  losers, this seems to be the rhetoric of the current epoch. I think
  the better term at times is survivor. In order to survive the
  internet, you have to weather a certain number of problems and
  confusions. One of the big problems is in the busy environment, it
  is very hard to get good advice about problems which can flood your
  mailbox in no time if your list is large. Everything is a learning
  experience: when I taught in New York City I initiated a program
  which turned losers into winners. --Paul.
--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]