Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:05:09 -0500
On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Janene McCrillis wrote:

>At 06:51 PM 10/7/99 , Dennis wrote:
>
>>However this behavior *only* happens when the list is configured
>>"Send= Editor".  If the list is configured "Send= Private" (or any
>>setting other than "Editor"), the post will appear to come from the
>>*editor*, not the original sender, regardless of any "Resent-From:"
>>headers that may be inserted.
>
>Not sure what's going on with your lists, Dennis, but all my lists are
>Send= Private and I can send a message to the list and have it appear to
>come from another person (using Eudora). It does say something like (by way
>of [log in to unmask]) but that's ok, most of my list members never notice
>that.

That's because you're using the Eudora "redirect" function, which does
not insert "Resent-*" headers but rather "spoofs" the original
sender's address.  That's the reason it sticks that "by way of" in the
"From:" line, to let the recipients know that the message was actually
sent from your account and not from the E-mail address in the "From:"
line.  The only other indication that the post is not from the address
in the "From:" line is in the routing headers added by the mail
transport agents sending the message on its way.

In this case Listserv affixes the original sender's address into the
"From:" line because you've fooled it into thinking that that's where
the message came from.  If the person is not on REVIEW, I would expect
the message to be posted directly to the list; if the person is on
REVIEW, I would expect the message to come back to you for approval
first.

Eudora does not have a built-in method to insert "Resent-*" headers
into a post.  You can create a "personality" that will do that, but
you have to specify yourself in that personality the headers that you
want. That part of this issue has been discussed on this list
previously.

I personally would rather use "Resent-*" headers than "spoofing" to
send mail to a list with the original sender's address.  But the "by
way of" that Eudora inserts on its "redirect" function also carries
the information that the post went through the listowner, and would be
acceptable to me.

Dennis