Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 11:45:08 -0400
Eng-Leong "Jacky" Foo wrote:

> Hi evryone
> what do you think of this and how is this done ?
> Is it possible to get a "confirmation" for a message before it is allowed
> to be distributed by a list ?

I don't understand the question in light of the rest of what you
wrote, but anyway:

> ----------#1 I got this message

[snip]

> Gareth Klose - [log in to unmask]

Compare the .sig to the "From:"

> ---------#2 after I reponded I get this message
>
> An error was detected while processing the enclosed message.  A list of
> the affected recipient follows.   This list is in a special format that
> allows software like LISTSERV to automatically take action on incorrect
> addresses; you can safely ignore the numeric codes.
>
> --> Error description:
> Error-for:  [log in to unmask]
> Error-Code: 3
> Error-Text: Domain "jemadar.demon.co.uk" doesn't exist.
>
> Error-End:  One error reported.

You might retry using "jemhadar" instead of "jemadar".

It looks like (assuming I read the nesting correctly) that
the "gareth" account had already been closed in favor of "gary"
after the hacking had already been discovered but before your
listserv answered:
> Whilst talking to jemhadar.demon.co.uk:
>
>   MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
>   250 Ok
>   RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
>   550 Unknown user <Gareth>
>   RSET
>   250 Ok

But I think what he wanted anyway was the original subscribe
message, not your bounce.  I don't know if you can get that
from listserv or not.  Headers on the original subscribe message
might help him determine the abuser.

Cheers,
Stan Ryckman ([log in to unmask])