Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:09:01 GMT
On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:15:16 -0400, Ellen Bonta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Our lawyer has suggested we send a charter/disclaimer/list policy to the
>subscriber before the subscription is complete.

The second word there (lawyer) is the problem here.  Obviously they do not
understand the mechanics of the actual process.  If you are not charging
admission, there is no need for advance disclosure.  This can be adequately
handled by the WELCOME message automatically sent when subscription is
complete.  (Be sure to include unsubscribe instructions in that msg.)

The reason for the 'confirm' is not for user confirmation in a legal sense,
but is merely a test by LISTSERV that the address in question can be mailed
to and received from.  This is a technical matter, needed to assure that
service to that address can actually be accomplished.  This also prevents
spamming from faked email addresses (which will never return the confirm).

>Site Manager's Operations Manual indicate that
>the ADDREQ1 template can be used to send new subscribers a charter.
>However, use of this template requires "Subscription=By Owner".

Also in the Owners manual.  Yes it requires Subscription= By_Owner.  The
reason is you are disengaging what would otherwise be handled automatically
by LISTSERV, so it has to be replaced with a manual process or there is no
way for anyone to join.

>We
>would like to set the list to "Subscription = Open,Confirm", so the
>owner does not have to review each subscription, but the completion of
>subscription will indicate that the subscriber agrees with the charter.

If your list is of such a nature that you must have this prior agreement
before subscription, then you'll just have to bite the bullet and use
Subscription= By_Owner.

>Is there a way to send a customized message before the subscription is
>complete using "Subscription=Open,Confirm"?

Actually you can also change the text of the Confirm message template, but
it is not advisable to do so as the same text would be sent for all
occasions that a confirm is needed, including many where the rules
statement would not be applicable (like confirming a password, etc).  The
confirm message is intended to be very short.  You have a challenge to get
your rules statement to be legally adequate, clearly understandable, and
still short.

>Does this make sense?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Don't talk to lawyers about setting up mailing lists, unless you can find
one that understands what's really going on.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]