Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:02:56 -0500
Paul Russell wrote:
> If you can be more specific about the nature of the changes you want to
> make, I might be able to find some examples of similar changes.

I'm sorry, I thought I had been specific.  Obviously, there is confusion,
and in retrospect I can see some confusion generating stuff in my first
follow-up item (which was supposed to clarify!).

Ok, it is an international "professional discussion" list, 15 years old,
subscription list of 4,000+ (expands every fall as college students in the
field are often required to subscribe to the list as part of their classes,
but 4,000 could be considered the base); traffic is 25 - 60 per weekday
approved items, less on the weekends; archive (weekly, but for first year
or so, which is monthly) is complete other than the first couple of months
(currently 100,400+ postings); extensive, active, filelist/catalog (can't
say how many files in the filelist, never counted them, but more than I
want to think of having actually installed, and updated periodically (do
wish that LSOFT had seen fit to port AFD/FUI and packages to the unix
platform, but, well... )); the list is Open, Confirm, for subscription, but
is Private, Confidential; posting is totally open, via the editor (that's
me, I truly edit every approved item, and yes I deal with a lot of spam,
but my list header setup works for what we want;  get a lot of legit
workshop, job, conference, etc. notices from nonsubscribers).

That is likely enough of that, but I'm giving specifics, in case they
matter.

For listserv web presence, we have the default (I presume) for the
archives, etc.: http://listserv.host.site/archives/listname.html One can
search the archives, read the logs, change one's subscription options (if
can figure out how to get to that part in "subscribers corner"), etc.

We also have a totally separate wep page, nothing to do with LISTSERV,
totally separate host site, which my co-listowner calls the "listname home
page" (yes, confusing, there is the LISTSERV listname web page, and her
"listname home page" which is totally separate). It is hosted by the
department of the university from which she is retiring. She has put
various things there.  Only she has access to it.  She is retiring we are
not certain how long that page will be supported, for a faculty emerita,
after she retires.  We want all the material from her "listname home page"
transfered to the LISTSERV listname page.  We do not want a link to some
URL elsewhere, want to get rid of that so that it is not dependent upon
some individual's resources, we want LISTSERV to store it, so it is right
there, like the archives, and any listowner can modify it (hope by email,
but will accept by web only if necessary), just like the list archives.
Can this be done?  How?

The list filelist/catalog.  Want that to show up and be useable via the
LISTSERV listname web page, just like the archives, the logs.  I suspect
this is a matter of linkage.  The LISTSERV listname page shows all of the
list logs, and they can be read as logs.  It does not show what is in the
optional filelist/catalog.

If one issues an INDEX LISTNAME commnd (email), one gets a listing of the
filelist/catalog material *and* a listing of the list logs, the
filelist/catalog material first, followed by the logs.  If one issues
a GET LISTNAME CATALOG command, one gets only the filelist/catalog
material.

On the listserv listname page one sees only the logs, no filelist/catalog.
Why, when the INDEX command lists both?  Is there not some way to tweak
the LISTSERV WWW templates (by email or the listowner's web page(s)) to get
the filelist/catalog pages to show up and be accessible on the web page
just as the list logs are?  How?

  while still being modifable via email, as at present
want the exo/outside "home page" currently hosted elsewhere to be part of
  the LISTSERV listname wep page (a link within LISTSERV, ok, a link
  outside of LISTSERV, no)  (if that can't be done, how about turning the
  exo "home page" material into files in the list filelist/catalog, and
  then would have an internal link, as above?)

Does that help any to explain what I want, or just confuse?

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]