"J. Lyle" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:32:33 -0500
On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Charles Oriez wrote:

> Yes.  at the bottom of your mailtpl file, insert something like the
> following:

> .fo on
> You received this mail because you have subscribed to &LISTNAME. To
> leave
> &LISTNAME, send e-mail to &MYSELF with the message text (not subject)
> SIGNOFF &LISTNAME. For information about joining the Sierra Club,
> contact
> .fo off

I am new to this list, and I joined primarily to ask about this very
thing. Can anyone explain to me why my attempt to add a bottom banner did
not work? Here is what I added to the mailtpl file:

.FO OFF
Archive URL: http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/copyediting-l.html
.FO ON

I followed the instructions given in the Listserv section of our computing
knowledge base (see below), and the file seems to have been stored
correctly, but the banner never appeared on the posts. I sent my query to
our list admin here, but with the students just now back to campus and all
the profs setting up their lists, I don't expect her to get her head above
water any time soon.

Could the problem be the four angle brackets rather than three? That was
the number specified in our instructions:

**********

If you want to add a banner message to the bottom of each posting, you
would add these lines to the template file:

  .FO OFF
  Place the text for your bottom banner here.
  .FO ON

Thanks for your advice. I added this info to the digest and index headers,
so most of our subscribers are seeing it, but it would be nice to be able
to append it to individual posts as well.

Also, is there a Web interface with the archives for this list?

Jane Lyle