Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:21:29 GMT
On Fri, 4 Apr 1997 08:40:19 -0500, Les Moskowitz
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Apparently AOL users have greater problems with unwanted email than most.

I used to get 25-30 spam mags per day, after I activated their email
'filter' system.  I finally did what the user below did and closed my
mailbox, accepting mail only from a short list of addresses.  Of course I
get most email via internet anyway now, so that's not a problem.

>> AOL allows a member to block all email. But it also allows members to
>> add any addresses they will still want email from, to a list.
>>
>> AOL's email filters seem to look at the *From* line (which is the
>> original sender) instead of looking at just the *Sender* line
>> (listserver name).

The sentiment is good but LISTSERV cannot and will not rewrite the From:
line on email, since to do so would violate RFC addressing specs.  The AOL
member might do better to complain to the email gurus at AOL about this.
There is nothing you can do.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]