Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 13:06:24 AST4ADT
I thought this wasn't a problem with the current release of LISTSERV.
My lists, for whatever reasons, seem by default to direct out of
office messages only to the sender, not to the list.  Is there a way
this could be configured wrong (and thus be fixable?)

> > I just took over management of a very busy unmoderated list running
> > under Listserv 1.8d. Postings to the list result in at least a dozen
> > out of office replies. Is there a way to filter out the vacation
> > messages from the list so that those who post messages on the list do
> > not get an onslaught of these vacation messages?
>
> I would set those offending addresses to NOMAIL. If they can't get the mail
> they can't reply to it. If this is not viable, you could use REVIEW. This
> would send those messages to the editor/moderator rather than the list.

The problem here is that the offending addresses are so transient --
people seem to set them for the weekend, or overnight.

When I post to a list and get them back individually I have a
boilerplate message telling the sender they're nothing but an
annoyance for the list, and it's better, if they really feel the
world can't stand not to know they're away from their desk, to the
set the list to NOMAIL when they step out for a coffee. (Of course,
I then get _another_ out of office message.)

                                  -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_    Professor of English
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~