Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:29:06 -0300
It was some years ago, I think, that this was discussed at some
length on the list -- so it may be worth expanding on this:

> How reliable  would a list's archives be if they could easily
> be modified?

It _can_ be done, but as soon as a listowner's done it she
becomes, de facto, the custodian of an archive which is
infinitely malleable, and has to deal with all the folks who now
regret having said something intemperate or stupid five years
ago.

In fact, I would prefer it were it actually impossible, rather
than merely difficult (and, given the ubiquity of archives,
etc., in practical terms it is actually pretty much impossible
to delete something totally).

> The time to edit a  message occurs before it is sent.

Yep.

-- Russ
St. Thomas University
http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/