Duane Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 14:09:57 +0000
At 01:39 PM 6/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I just did a WWW search of the LSTOWN-L archives:
>
>and did not find any other 'hits.'  Do they have anything in-common (do
>they MX to the same host?).  Are they spoofed addresses?  Can you e-mail
>them directly?  Some users' e-mail systems are not fully RFC compliant in
>receiving e-mail i.e., they can process some SMTP client protocols, but not
>others.
>
>At 11:53 6/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>|Here is a new one on me that I am hoping you all can help me with. I have
>|lately received bounced confirmation request mail from four potential
>|subscribers and the reason given was
>|
>|        "Your message was not delivered because the return address was
>refused."

I have the same problem occasionally on my list. Some systems allow users
to "filter" their email accounts so that they accept mail only from
addresses that the user specifies. In the case of a new list subscriber,
they often do not add the maillist to their "accpetable" list or don't get
it right. If this is your problem, personal email sent directly to the
member would also bounce.

Duane Campbell  [log in to unmask]
http://www.epix.net/~dcamp/