Mark Bodenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Nov 1993 16:45:31 EST
On Mon, 15 Nov 1993 18:39:22 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>On Mon, 15 Nov 1993 11:27:49 -0600 Fred Kemp <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>>Furthermore, with the  announced termination of backbone  service by USC
>>and Cornell in July, the entire future of Bitnet is extremely doubtful.
>
>USC has  already left the core,  and was replaced with  ARIZVM1. I didn't
>know that Cornell was leaving BITNET.  I'm not saying it's not true, just
>that I have not heard about it.

IF it's true, it's not true YET.  (Fred, if you would, please drop me a
note and tell me the source of that "announcement".)

We ARE evaluating our participation in Bitnet.  (I imagine we're not
alone in that.)  Because of other requirements on our 3090-200J, we DO
want to move Bitnet off that machine.  That's something we WOULD like to
do by July.

BUT we have another machine (a 4381-14) we plan to use as our Bitnet
core node.  If the result of our evaluation results in a decision to
withdraw as a core node that plan will change.  But as of now that's
the plan.  And my judgement is it's more likely than not that we will
continue as a core node.

I'm not on LSTOWN-L, so if you want to follow up with me please write
me directly.

Mark Bodenstein  (mab@cornellc; 607-255-8059)
Cornell University Bitnet Techrep