Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:32:31 +0200
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997  16:06:54 -0400 Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Is it truly "worth" $200 if you  can't sell it? I doubt it. Particularly
>if an equivalent licence can be bought for $200.

We make  the claim  that it  is worth $200  because it  is a  $200 credit
voucher. You will  find that most companies that issue  vouchers make the
claim that  they are worth their  face value. And yes,  precisely because
the same goods can be purchased for $200. To put it another way, we would
be in trouble with  the IRS if we stated the value  as anything less than
$200.

>If I won a  trip worth $5000 to Tahiti, is it worth  anything if I can't
>sell it to someone (since I would never take the plane trip)?

It may  not be worth $5000  to you if you  are afraid of flying,  but you
could probably find someone among your  family or friends who would enjoy
the trip.  Likewise the prize  we are  discussing is a  gift certificate.
It's meant to be given away, not sold.  I don't know about the US, but as
a non-driver I  am quite familiar with the rules  for lotteries where the
main prize is  an expensive car (which happen to  be most lotteries). You
can take the car, or you can take a cash sum that isn't anywhere near the
value of the  car (say, 1/3 to 1/2).  I'm not the kind of  guy who orders
full lottery regulations  from the stated address and then  reads it as a
distraction but I  imagine that you can't resell the  car before X years,
otherwise nobody  would take  the cash.  I have yet  to find  one lottery
where you can take the car's actual market value in cash.

>Many prizes won on "The Price is Right" are unclaimed because the tax on
>the prize is greater than its value to the winner.

So? Last I checked, none of L-Soft's employees were US Congressmen.

>"Our own lists?" First time I can  ever recall that a poster is supposed
>to worry about who may or may not be sponsoring a list.

My point, Stan, is that if you're selling L-Soft gift certificates on the
black  market,  we don't  want  to  hear about  it  because  we make  the
assertion that we do not allow prizes to be resold. We don't want to have
to justify  to an  IRS inspector or  whatever that we  did not  know that
certificate with serial such and such was sold on the black market and we
looked the  other way.  If people  use our  own lists  to carry  out this
auction business and we  don't do anything to stop it,  we're going to be
in a tight  spot if this happens. I  hate to spell it out,  but if prizes
can be resold,  there is always the  risk that a programmer  might make a
mistake and that  a most regrettable BUG in the  software might cause the
same people to win big prizes over  and over, which they could resell for
real money.  It is  no coincidence  that many lotteries  have a  "not for
resale" clause.

>I may seem overly cynical here, but I never got my T-shirt,

and it looks like this is the whole point you are trying to make here :-)
Look, I  don't know  what to say.  We have shipped  over 1500  shirts and
while I fully acknowledge  that we screwed up and a  few batches may have
been inadvertently "forgotten"  by people who were  not necessarily happy
to have to do all this extra work,  down the road we did ship 1500 shirts
and a  certain loss rate is  inevitable, which is why  we established the
[log in to unmask] address.  To take one  extreme case, there  is this
guy to  whom we  resent the  shirt three times  and it  disappeared three
times. Maybe it was initially part  of the batches that were "forgotten",
but when we resend a shirt you  can rest assured that it is resent. Maybe
there is a mailman somewhere who won't  have to buy T-shirts for the next
20 years,  or more realistically  maybe there are people  who incorrectly
assume that  their co-workers would  never steal  a shirt from  them (and
maybe the  co-workers they have  in mind would  never do that,  but maybe
there are new co-workers or temps  or cleaning staff or whatever). I left
a box with a bunch of 10th  anniversary shirts and a pair of sweat shirts
at SUNET,  fully confident that  nobody would  EVER think of  taking them
without asking me, but the hard, cold  reality is that there was only one
sweat shirt when I  came back a few days later. I  don't think the people
I've known  for 7 years stole  it, but at  the same time there  are other
people who may have just walked in, seen a big box with a lot of T-shirts
(evidently promotional shirts  as they were all identical) and  a pair of
sweat  shirts, and  taken  one  sweat shirt  (and  possibly  a number  of
T-shirts,  I hadn't  counted them)  with the  full intention  to ask  for
permission at a later time ;-) Which  wouldn't have been a big deal if it
hadn't been  the last  I had in  that size and  earmarked for  someone. I
learned my  lesson and I  now transport the  shirts in the  exact amounts
that are to be delivered.

Either way, I don't understand why  people are taking this shirt business
so personally.  If you didn't get  your shirt, do something  about it and
write to  [log in to unmask] The  people who ship  the shirts  do NOT
read this list, so complaining here will not get you a shirt.

  Eric