Patrick Douglas Crispen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 11:11:57 CST
On Thu, 9 Feb 1995 16:46:03 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>This message is  customizable in version 1.8b only.  How many subscribers
>do you  have counting all the  lists and why  do you have to  stop taking
>them, time spent managing the list or system resources?

Thank you for answering my question!

The total for all four lists is something like 82,000 but only 17,654
of those people are currently active (the rest participated last fall).

UA is running 1.8a. I decided to close the subscription lists
altogether and point everyone to the packages on the fileserver after
I kept having problems with LISTSERV running out of virtual memory
(I guess 17,000 subscriptions on an OPEN,CONFIRM list soaks up a lot
of memory).

Besides, having the people get the lessons in one week packages instead
of through a daily distribution makes my life a whole bunch easier :)

   /O O `./      .'               PATRICK DOUGLAS CRISPEN
  {O__,   \    {                   [log in to unmask]
    / .  . )    \                THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
  '---.~_ _ _&                       Warning: squirrels.