Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 17:33:38 +0100
Version 1.8b will include code to  automatically detect spams and raise a
netwide alert  to prevent  further messages  from being  distributed. The
backbone servers will warn each other and the other servers and hopefully
spams will  stop being such  a nuisance. I don't  think we'll get  into a
sword  and shield  war because  spammers are  technically unsophisticated
individuals following simple instructions they've read in a book. If they
can get their message through to  the Majordomo and ListProc lists and to
usenet, they'll  be happy  enough. It's  all numbers  to them  anyway, if
getting  X targets  out of  LISTSERV  takes 10  times as  much effort  as
getting  them out  of other  software, they'll  concentrate on  the other
software.

  Eric