Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:06:55 -0400
This just  struck me today:  I would love to see  the capability to express
message-length,  digest-length, etc.  in *characters* instead  of lines.  I
know that the lines  measurement comes from the days  of VM when that's the
value  the operating system returned,   but   with Unix, NT, etc.   there's
actually a conversion  required to get it.  Using   characters is more  OS-
natural, *and* it's more relevant  most of the  time (i.e.  "set the digest
to X characters because AOL treats it  differently when it gets bigger than
that ... oops,  can't do that,  oh well, set   it to Y lines which  usually
approximates X characters" or  "set the message size  limit to X characters
to avoid attachments, oops set it  to Y lines,  oops well that lets through
some types of MIME attachments which occupy hellishly long lines, oh well")

Only if it's easy ... only if it's easy ... but it would be nice for 1.8c.

Norm
--
Be braver.  You cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps.