Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:40:43 -0600
On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:57:24 -0400, "Alan S. Dobkin" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The List Owner's Manual indicates:
>
>> 6.8.4. The alternative to using WELCOME and FAREWELL files
>>
>> It is possible to modify LISTSERV's default mail template so that only
>> one message is sent to users when they subscribe and unsubscribe, rather
>> than an administrative message from LISTSERV and a WELCOME or FAREWELL
>> file from the list owner. See Chapter 9 for the details on modifying the
>> default mail templates.
>
>However, I cannot find a template form anywhere in Chapter 9 or elsewhere
>for the response that the subscriber receives when he/she signs off the
>list.  The SIGNOFF1 form sends notification to the list owner, and the
>SIGNOFF2 form is only used for errors.  Is there another one for successful
>unsubscriptions?  Or, is farwell really the only way to accomplish this
>(aside from writing my own list exit perhaps)?

The manual is slightly unclear.  It is correct as regards SIGNON/ADD, (you can
eliminate $SIGNUP and use only WELCOME or vice versa) but for SIGNOFF there
are 2 cases.  The user signs themself off (they will get FAREWELL) or the
Owner removes them (they will get the DELETE1 template, which can be modified
to say the same at the FAREWELL).

The difference is that for joining the list, whether ADDed by Owner or SUB by
themself, they will get the same (1 or 2) message(s).  For removal, they can
get different messages (but will get only 1 msg) depending on the method of
removal (Owner DEL or self UNSUB).