Lee Komito <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 May 1993 14:12:09 GMT
On Wed, 12 May 1993 16:53:43 -0400 Roger Burns said:

>You can send GET <listname> LIST (HEADER NOL PW=XXXXXXXX
>to LISTSERV.  Then add the line *  Owner= my.friends@address
>after the original Owner line that contains your address (taking care to
>see that the "*" is in column 1, and that a blank follows "=").  Also,
>edit the file so the first line reads PUT <listname> LIST PW=XXXXXXXX .
>Then send it back to the LISTSERV and you're done.  Thereafter your friend
>can add files, revise and/or delete them (and do any other list-owner
>function) just as you can, with the use of the list's password just as you
>use it.

As a total novice list co-owner, can I just double check that I understand
the above? I dealing with a listserv at a U.S. site, so interaction is
via MAIL rather than TELL, and uses LISTSERV rather than LISTEARN.
If I send "GET filename LIST (HEA", I also get just the headers.
What is the purpose of NOL? If I edit the headers,
do I then send back the file with the first line as "PUT filename LIST"?
What prevents this new list from replacing the existing list, thus
wiping out any record of existing subscribers? (or has LISTSERV
intelligently decided, after receiving (HEA in the first place, that
the arriving list should only be used to replace headers and not
affect subscribers)? Apologies for such a FAQ kind of question, but
I could not think of any keywords that would not have produced all
too many mail files from a database search.

Lee Komito                       Internet: [log in to unmask]
Dept of Sociology                CREN/Bitnet/Earn: lkomito@irlearn
University College, Dublin       phone: +353 1 706-7106
Belfield, Dublin 4; Ireland      Fax: +353 1 269-4409