Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:08:14 +1000
FYI

There is an email scanning software package out there called MailMarshal
that now sports the ability to block messages containing certain text
combinations.  They helpfully call it Text Censor Scripts.  How I found out
is when a large proportion of a list mailout bounced because several
MailMarshal gateways thought it contained hostile JavaScript.

The reason?

The word 'function' was repeated in the email more than the allowable number
of times.  This was an email that was nothing more than a large block of
text (it was even sent in plain-text format) discussing various 'functions'
pertaining to records management classifications.

For more information see MailMarshal's website
http://www.marshalsoftware.com/ and look in the product features for Text
Censor Scripts.  Naturally, the scripts are configurable by the gateway
admins but if they haven't got a clue it will affect everyone.

*sigh*

Another headache for List Owners.....

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.