Ed Price <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 20:19:26 -0400
At 02:49 PM 7/25/97 -0600, Dan Lester replied:
>At 04:26 PM 7/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>At 03:57 PM 7/25/97 -0500, LYDIA FISH wrote:
>>>Is there any way to send a message to everyone on my list who is set to
>>nomail?
>>QUERY <LISTNAME> WITH NOMAIL FOR *@* will get you a listing of all 'nomails'
>>
>>As for messaging 'nomails' I know of no way other than laboriously
>>extracting the address' from the result of the QUERY.
>
>That would be easy enough to script into a mailing list to send something
>to all of those in the query result set.   Even if you don't "do code" of
>any sort, I'll bet a competent student lab assistant could do it between
>changing the paper in the printers ..... certainly less than an hour.

OK so I am dumb :-), but how do you do it if you encourage people to use
NOMAIL for temporary absences rather than sub and unsub without forcing the
RENEW function on then.  My goal is a periodic message telling NOMAIL
subscribers to ignore the message if they continue interested, to usub if
not and finally cleanse the list via the 'bounces.'

>>I sure would appreciate knowing if there is an easier way.
>
>I guess I don't get it.  I know everyone had different styles and reasons
>for doing things.....but I'm trained to find out WHY you want to know, and
>can often get what you want than the way one presumes it has to be done.
>(It is called being trained as a librarian and as a computer support person)

My approach makes sense to me but perhaps effective support is beyond the
capacity of an obsolete Engineer - Class of '44 who is looking for an
easier way but without forcing RENEW.

To your good health

Ed