"Paul M. Karagianis" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Aug 1994 11:23:04 EDT
(The following quotes are condensed from multiple messages).

One of my sites Listowners reports:

> Any idea what is causing this?  I am trying to put my filelist which I
> have done many times using that little program that converts to a
> punch format.  It has worked, but I have not done it with 1.8a up
> until now.  this is what the error looks like.
>
> --- Forwarded mail from BITNET list server at SJUVM (1.8a)
>
> Date:         Sat, 27 Aug 1994 20:28:56 -0400
> From: BITNET list server at SJUVM (1.8a) <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Output of your job.
>
> Invalid character in input (base64) stream.
>
> Serious error occurred - traceback follows
>  -> Severity: Error
>  -> Facility: Generic error codes
>  -> Abstract: Invalid input file/data format
>
> --- End of forwarded message from BITNET list server at SJUVM (1.8a)

> What I have traditionally done to store the filelist is the following:
>         lb64 filelist | mail [log in to unmask]
> I have done it that way for over a year without a glitch except for
> those created by the operator.  On Saturday I tried to store the
> filelist with a new file entry and received the error message I
> forwarded.  It is quite consistent, 100%.  My guess is that it is
> related to the recent upgrade because that is the only thing that has
> changed.  I can work around it by not encoding the file with lb64 and
> sending it via segate.sunet.se which apparently does not wrap everything
> beyond 80 columns.  When I do that it stores normally.

I checked a hex-dump of his filelist yesterday and saw nothing unusual
in it.  (No x'3B', nothing above x'7D' etc).  He then repeated the
sequence of getting it, unwrapping some long lines bent by his systems
mailer, following the above procedure and getting the reported error,
followed by a successful put via segate.
                                          -Thanks, Kary.