"J. Philip Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Mar 1993 09:53:37 -0600
> The Chile-L list is becoming too burdensome.  I noted this when one user
> left and now I am receiving numerous pieces of mail from that list throughout
> the day as POSTMASTER.

I know nothing about the Chile-l list specificially.  It appears that you have
a user at your site who did an unfriendly site.  Since you indicate you are a
bitnet site, then you can unsubscribe for this user with the FOR command.
Thus you can take care of this problem, created by one of your users, by
yourself.

> I believe whoever maintains this list should be encouraged to limit the
> submissions to it.

that is really no business of yours.  If you want to limit the amount of mail
that your users get, that is fine, but don't dictate what others do.

> Those of us who are bitnet nodes should not be expected to support mailing
> lists this burdensome.  They should be put into digest form or better yet,
> news notes should be used instead of a mailing list.
>
> I have been getting 10-20 pieces of mail for this individual, and when
> I posted to the list asking that the individual be removed, nothing was done.

Excuse me, posting to the list is the inapproprate thing to do.  If you are
having problems, you should be sending personal mail to the OWNER of that
specific list.  If you do not know who that is, issuing a REVIEW command to
LISTSERV will tell you.

lighten up!

-phil

--
     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
         Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110