Michael Loftis <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:09:33 -0600
--On March 22, 2007 9:25:27 AM +0100 Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Ah yes, and I recompile all my Linux guests to set HZ to something
> sensible, like 100. A typical 2-way Linux guest request 3,000 timer
> interrupts per second to try and keep the time accurate, and these are
> expensive virtual interrupts. If you have 5 Linux guests, that's 15,000
> timer interrupts per second and you can start ordering a processor
> upgrade just to count microseconds on an industrial scale. This ought to
> be a kernel startup option so that you can change it without recompiling.

HZ is used as a macro allover in the kernel, not a variable.  It's used in
a lot of places that need to be static, not computed, values, as well.
Unlikely to see this happen.  Used to be 100 was the default on x86
machines.  I noticed 2.6 seems to have pushed that to 250 or so.

>   Eric

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler