Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:39:46 -0500
At 01:52 12/17/1998 -0600, Phyllis L. Flott said:
|I'm wondering about this question becasue many people are using e-mail
|archives for research these days.  I use a list for the classes I teach
|and I'm wondering if there is any evidence left after the log and the
|web archive are altered.  If a researcher suspected that there had been
|deletions in both the log and the web archive, would there be anything
|left to tip them off that there had been alterations?

In my opinion, this is the tail wagging the dog ... I don't think L-Soft
DESIGNED the archives so that they were of auditor-quality control.  This
kind of stuff needs to be designed up-front.  I'm not sure that I would
want my say, NSF-funded publishable research, to be based upon the
conjectured inviolate archives -- there are just too many cooks in the
kitchen.

/Pete Weiss