Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 May 1998 11:09:00 -0400
This question is purely a matter of personal interest, not really
listowner related.

Does anyone know how the two letter geographical domains at the end of
all non-US and some US e-mail addresses are assigned?   The reason I ask
is that I recently did a REVIEW BY COUNTRY for a list to which I
subscribe.  Among the country codes listed was  NU which expanded to Niue.
That turns out to be an island in the South Pacific, population 4,200,
about 1,500 miles NE of New Zealand.

However, when I checked the specific address of the one subscriber in that
domain, it was  [log in to unmask]     Sure enough, when I wrote to the
individual, she lives in Vermont and her ISP is headquartered in Stowe,
Vermont.   So how on earth did it get the address   STOWE.NU  ?

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat
     My home page: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh
     AUTOCAT home page:
     http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/autocat/