John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:28:12 -0400
> I just received an interesting request from on of our list owners.  He
> would like to burn a CDROM that contains the archives of his list.  The
> problem is that the list archives appear to be in a special Listserv
> format.  Is there any easy way to convert the archives to HTML?

I'm not sure exactly what he want to do with these but I assume to just keep them
for posterity. As they sit on your drive, the LOG files are just text files of the
messages stacked one after the other for that period of time (weekly, monthly,etc)
You can read them easily with wordpad or any text reader. You could send them
to him as just text or he could just GET them and save them as messages or save
them as text files himself. Anytime in the future he could easily PUT them back to
your server or another server if his list has moved.  I have done this a few times
myself.

As far as saving them "as HTML", I see no reason he couldn't cut and paste the
text into an HTML file if that's what he wants to do.

> Is a "logfile" the same as an "archive"?

Yes, a logfile (LOG) is an archive of the list messages for that period they are
stored as.... weekly, monthly,etc.