Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 23:59:43 -0400
At 07:07 AM 6/6/97 +0900, Dan Kanagy wrote:
>Currently I have the REVIEW setting set to private for my list.
>However, a number of subscribers are worried that this will enable
>spammers to subscribe to the list, make off with the list of
>addresses, and start spamming.  My view is that this is an extremely
>inefficient way to gather e-mail addresses, and spammers--the pros
>anyway--resort to other means to gather e-mail addresses.  I have yet
>to see a spam targeting just the subscribers of my list, which seems
>to support my view.
>
>What are your views on this matter?  Am I subjecting my subscribers to
>too much risk against potential spams?

IMHO, you are right that it's probably too inefficient for spammers
to bother with (at least for now) -- especially if you require
subscriptions to be confirmed.

But you aren't exposing them to any risk that I can see... they
can always do a SET LISTNAME CONCEAL if they don't want their own
address to be visible.  You might want to make sure that any
concerned subscribers know how to do this.

Of course, any subscriber who *POSTS* is visible to the entire
list, including any potentially-subscribed spammer, but there's
nothing you (as list owner) can do to prevent that.  (It is a
reason to try and keep your list from being archived publically
by someone else, but that's another thread altogether.)

Cheers,
Stan