Jim Gerland <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 12:35:11 -0400
On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Eric Thomas wrote:
> The  #1 complaint  people  have about  the NIC  is that  the
> invoicing is just  not working. People don't get their  invoices on time,

You are certainly right about that.  We, After Five Technology, register
2-3 domains a week and my partner is always telling me stories of how we
haven't yet been invoiced and how the NIC just called to find out why they
haven't been paid.

> Another thing I  find offensive is
> the stated policy  that they won't lift  a finger to try  and contact the
> company if the registered contact address doesn't work, and will just axe
> the domain instead  and wait for the  customer to get in  touch with them
> once their service has been disrupted.

Gee, they seem to have called us a few times already.

> imagine what  the situation must  be like in traditional  corporate shops
> where the  Internet is a  fraction of one  person's time and  the contact
> address doesn't work because it's the guy before the guy before the guy.

I know this is not the correct place for NIC bashing but...

It's even worse than that!  I have tried to email a human being there
with no luck.  I have had a few situations where a domain name wanted to
move to my name service and they no longer had an active account with their
previous ISP so they could not send in the 'modify domain' from their
current contact name.  What a nightmare.

I've also had one outstanding 'new domain' request since June 6 with no
answer to my email asking if there was a problem since I've had 7 others
approved that were submitted after that date.  In fact, I submitted 2 Friday
afternoon and they were approved and waiting in my mail on Monday morning.
Jim...