"J. R. Lankford" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 14:33:06 -0600
Hi, everyone -

I just instituted topics on my list and they're not working.  What I
intended was to use the "Other" topic for non-topic list mail, which will
be most of it.  My list is: [log in to unmask]

Here's what I did:

First I set everyone who had the DIGEST option to MAIL.

Then in the header I added:

* Digest= No
* Topics= OWLEX, SCLAB
* Default-topics= Other

Then I set everyone on the list to topic "other" as follows:

quiet set writelab topics: other for <userid>

and got a report that it was done.

Then I started adding a few people to the topics with:

QUIET SET WRITELAB TOPICS: +OWLEX FOR <userid>
QUIET SET WRITELAB TOPICS: +SCLAB FOR <userid>

and got a report that it was done.

BUT... test messages labelled:

SCLAB TALK:
and
SCLAB:

keep going to the whole list.  So, far, I haven't gotten a report on who is
getting the OWLEX topics.

I set my own topics option to ALL so I'm getting everything.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Jilla

P.S.  By the way, I plan to handle the "set topic" commands myself until
things are running smoothly.  I know members can do it themselves.