Wed, 17 Aug 1994 23:23:35 -0500
On Wed, 17 Aug 1994, Shahjehan Khatri wrote:
> > You should use
> >
> > add listname user@node Name Surname pw=listpassword
>
> Thanks for your reply, but this is exactly the syntax that was being
> used.  To it's credit, LISTSERV does not show passwords in replies....
       text deleted
> > We're running LISTSERV 1.7f.  One of our list owners reported the following:
>
> [...] Three SET MAIL commands went through, whereas the four ADD commands
> did not. I used the same password with each line, my own password, the
> only one I know. I have always used my own, and have always had this
> problem periodically.

Were the set mail and adds done from the same userid@node, which matches
that in the list header?  My understanding (which could be faulty) is that
the personal password, as opposed to the list password, is supposed to
take care of this.  Was the password really and truely included? I forget
to add it sometimes, but that's probably because I don't have to use
it for routine things like add, delete, set, query,etc.

> > add ListName [log in to unmask] John Doe
> Invalid password supplied. Acceptable passwords are: your personal password
> (obtained through the "PW ADD" command) and the password of list ASUSOM.

The only time I have ever had this error returned is when I have tried to
PUT a file in the filelist and the file has had word processor formatting
instructions which I couldn't see.  My unwarranted assumption is the
LISTSERV program thought these were special files which I, as a listowner,
hadn't the authority to install.  Tracking down the invisible stuff and
deleting it from the file took care of the problem.  Does this person
work from a remote site with a phone line login?  Could there have
been line noise that produced garbage in email (happens to me all the
time)?

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner