Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Nov 2011 21:42:23 -0700
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:00:05 -0800, Ian Fairclough
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The message below is very similar to the one I got recently, which I unfortunately didn't recognize as spam

You have been an unfortunate victim of "social engineering".

Below are tips to help anyone recognize probably harmful spam (any kind, not
just this):

Does the USPS have your email address at all?
 Probably, no.

Did you give your email to USPS when you mailed the package?
 No.

Have you ever, at any time before received any legitimate email like this from
the USPS?
 Probably, no.

What makes you think the USPS cares enough to notify you in this case?  Have
they ever done so before?
 No.

"Please print out the shipment label attached ..."

This requires you to decode the attachment.  How many times have you been told
to NEVER, EVER, EVER, under ANY curcumstances decode an attachment from a
questionable or untrusted or doubtful source?
 Hundreds to thousands.

What is this if not an attachment from a questionable or untrusted or doubtful
source?
 DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT decoding the attachment.  Delete immediately.

"...and collect the package at our office."
 The USPS NEVER, EVER requires a new shipping label to pickup a package.
 No reason to print.

Did you inspect the full email Received: headers to verify the mail actually
 came from a USPS server?
 http://www.haltabuse.org/help/headers/index.shtml

----------------------
Similar spams:

Anything purporting to be from
  IRS
  USPS
  EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System)
  ACH Clearing house
  Any Bank (legitimate banks never send email with attachments)

Almost anything purporting to be from
  UPS
  DHL
  FedEx
unless you have very recently (2-3 days or less) sent a pkg.
If so, inspect EXTREMELY carefully.  Go to their website.  Call with the
tracking number.  DO NOT TRUST EMAILS!

Anything stating it is an invoice, or refund, or clearance sale, or ...
 DO NOT TRUST EMAILS!

Here is another example: (which was trapped and did not go to the list)