Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:18:41 -0600
At 02:04 AM 8/15/1997 +0000, Cynthia wrote:
>Some people are questioning why I am so bothered by this and being an
>unreasonable listowner.  I've worked hard to keep flames off my list and I

As owner of twelve lists of various types, I'd have to agree.  I'm not into
flames, but I'm opposed to unreasonable control on other humans.  I'm a
librarian, a profession that is usually thought of as strict and
controlling.  I work (and have for the last thirty years in seven different
libraries) with folks who "management by exception", planning the rules
around something that MIGHT happen, but would be an infrequent occurrence
if it ever did happen, and wouldn't be such a big deal even if it did.  I'm
not going to build my life or job around the chance of a masked bad guy
with a gun coming in and robbing and raping the young ladies at the front
desk.  Yes, we have reasonable security, yes they know to call 911 at first
sign of serious trouble, etc.  But I'm not going to arm them, either.

>had nightmares of what could happen if other troublemakers got their friends
>to do their dirty work after they were on review or kicked off.  My list
>averages 60 posts a day so I don't want to go to moderation; we already have
>owner-approved subscriptions.

Full moderation WILL change the whole nature of the list, and will reduce
greatly the number of posts.  But it is YOUR list, so do what you
want....just don't be surprised if things change greatly.  Also, consider
that what YOU consider flames are "normal teasing or repartee" to others on
list.  I don't consider a flame a flame unless it is VERY rude or VERY
personal or if the recipient of an on list flame complains to me about it.

>I would like advice from other list owners about what you would do or have
>done in this situation.

Nothing.

>In case it matters, this is a list where people can get emotional and/or
>obsessive, and we've had our share of flamers and people out to cause other
>kinds of trouble during its 4 year existence.

Well, I consider that true on ANY list, including those relating to
hobbies, technical topics (think of Mac vs. Windows, Microsoft vs.
anti-Microsoft, Ford vs. Chevy, etc, etc.), or personal or political
topics.  I just tell people "we don't do religous warfare" on any of my
lists, and all the above are included.  OTOH, I don't get uptight if some
Mac fan has a sig that says "Win95 = Mac87", either.

But, I'd never try to change the behavior of the owner of a list I was on.
If I didn't like it, I'd quit, or I'd start my own list on same topic.
Just ask the folks on the veggie/vegan/granola/etc. lists about such
things.  Talk about religious warfare.....

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534