"Stephen W. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 21:55:40 -0400
Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

[snip]
> "Super-
> lists" give you a way to string several (possibly related) lists together
> so that you can send a single administrative post to all of the subscribers
> on all of the sublists but avoid sending duplicates to people who might
> be subscribed to more than one of the sub-lists.  This is discussed in

Sub- and super-lists have come up a bunch of times this week.  Since we're
focused on them, I'll re-ask a question I had last week:

- --------------------------------------

Subject:      List of all recipients for super-list?

All,

I've got a list (LISTD) with LISTA, LISTB and LISTC as sub-lists of
it.  The super-list is to eliminate duplicates: people subscribed to
more than one of the sub-lists should get only one copy of general
announcements applicable to all lists.

QUESTION: Is there a way to get a report of all subscribers who would
  get messages sent to the super-list?  I've read the manual and
  searched the archives about super-lists with no leads.

I would use such a command to fix almost-duplicate subscriptions --
[log in to unmask] in one sub-list and [log in to unmask] in another.
(My subscribers are from a population where I can be sure that these
are definitely the same person.)  As it is, I query each sub-list,
sort, compare, then cull.

Complications arise when one list has the two subscriptions with one
set to NOMAIL and another list has the same subscriptions with the
other set to NOMAIL.  In other words:

  LISTA:   MAIL - [log in to unmask]
         NOMAIL - [log in to unmask]

  LISTC: NOMAIL - [log in to unmask]
           MAIL - [log in to unmask]

So LISTD would end up sending duplications to 'person', one to each
subscription.

I fear the feature I'd hoped for wasn't designed into super-lists.
Issuing 'query LISTD for *@*' gave me only the person directly
subscribed to LISTD (me), not all the potential recipients.

Might there be a SUPERSCAN command that would return SCAN-like results
on a super-list?  SUPERQUERY that does QUERYs on super-lists?

SUPERdreaming,
En paz,
Steve
--
Stephen W. Thompson, U. of PA, Data Administration, 215-898-1236, WWW has PGP
[log in to unmask]    URL=http://pobox.upenn.edu/~thompson/index.html