George Frajkor <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:22:05 -0500
Barak Moshe wrote:

>> Bear in mind that a Word file or any other binary material will be
>> encoded before mailing to the archives, making the file considerably
>> larger, and it will not be readable via the WWW interface anyway.  In

>Larger, yes, but as not as large as 10,000 x 50KB (of one word file), and yes,
>it will be readable from the www interface, since most users use a PC and that
>will invoke the application (Word in that case) to view the file.

   Most users drive Fords as well, and that is no reason to make Ford
the only ones available.
    I use (as does my university a Unix system.  Many people are now
using Linux.  Believe it or not, some people still use Macs.  And
Ataris and Commodores.  And dumb terminals attached to an IBM using
EBSIDIC , or to OS2.
    ASCII text is the only cheap, small, efficient and totally
compatible files exchange system we have now.  I have absolutely no
way, whether using a PC., Commodore 64, or Mac, to make use of any
funny attachments that some into our Unix system at my university.
   The object of communication is to talk to everyone, not Microsoft
fans.

>True, but that is a price I am willing to pay, compared to the huge savings in
>disk space. In fact, not being able to do it the way I want, means that I can
>not send attachments to large lists at all because of the disk space issue.

   Correct.  Please do NOT (NOT -- EVER) send attachments to large
lists.  It is my disk space that is at issue, not yours.  And for
people who have to pay a lot for Internet Service, you are REALLY a
problem.

    Jan George Frajkor                      _!_
 School of Journalism, Carleton Univ.      --!--
 1125 Colonel By Drive                       |
 Ottawa, Ontario                            /^\
 Canada K1S 5B6                         /^\     /^\
 [log in to unmask]      /   [log in to unmask]
  o: 613 520-7404   fax: 613 520-6690  h: 613 563-4534