Joseph Georges <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:42:27 -0700
At 01:37 AM 7/16/97 EDT, Bill Gruber wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:25:07 -0700 Joseph Georges said:
>>The message thus goes to subscribers despite listserv >>complaining to me
that it is a duplicate. Of course, >>it is not a duplicate at all.

>If LISTSERV says it's a duplicate, I'd have absolutely >no doubt that it's
a duplicate.  The first one is >distributed to the list, the second duplicate
>message is sent to you as an error.

Actually, it is not a duplicate. As I mentioned in my original post, "I
also occasionally receive another type of delivery error saying that a
message (always a reply quoting another message) has already been
distributed to the list."

Listserv sees the reply as duplicating the original message that was quoted
in the reply. The error message returns the reply to me, saying that the
reply is unprocessed. But, in fact, the reply is processed and distributed
to the list anyway despite the error message. I would like to find a way to
disable this rather useless error message. If the cost of that step is that
subscribers do occasionally post genuinely duplicate messages, so be it.