Diane Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Mar 1993 21:13:40 EDT
Nomail vs. Deletions is an interesting discussion...What I wonder is why
are we concerned about users "suddenly" not getting postings when for
a week their mailer hasn't been giving them postings?  We delete people
when the message says "unknown user" three different messages in a row.
We set people to nomail when it says "unable to make connection.."

I think that a prompt friendly response when a subscriber discovers the
problem and referring them to their local people...I try to keep copies
of error messages to forward along with the explanation so that they have
something to show their computer services folks. I don't think that
it is possible to please every party in this situation.

Just keeping the error messages isn't possible when you have a finite amount
of disk space.  I have 20,000 blocks on the Vax account I use for errors
management of 3 lists....yet *very* often I have to purge my mailer so that
I can deal with the quantity that arrives.  I think that list size makes
a big difference...I you've got 2,000 subscribers and 5% of the mail is
not making it that's 100 error messages per posting.  DOROTHYL has had
30 plus messages per day....8).
Cheers!  Di  (dkovacs@kentvm [log in to unmask])