Bill Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:02:23 -0500
"LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
03/09/2007 12:32:28 PM:

> I suspect that if the recipients of one of those blank messages view
> the message in plain text mode, its contents will show up.

I have one list with one user that has been reported as sending blank
messages.  THe subscriber uses Outlook and an Exchange server (forget
versions off the top of my head).  The blank messages only occur if she is
replying to a message from the list, going back to the list.  Most of the
times, it isn't completely blank.  There is a line of XML code.  If I look
at the page source for the message, there is a plain text part, but most
mail clients default to showing the rich text part if available.  In these
messages, the rich text is a hideous mash of HTML with more codes than an
Enigma Machine.  This list is fairly small (20 subs) but to the best of my
knowledge, no one can read these blank emails, regardless of client. IIRC,
they even show up as blank when the get back to the sender (we default all
lists as ACK,REPRO).