Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 13:17:28 -0500
My list is currently hosted on a machine with only fraction T1
connectivity.  My list is generating enough traffic to fill the mail
queues and otherwise drag down the performance of the server.  I also
see relatively long times for message distribution.  I've noticed that
a five line message can come through with a 40-50 line header.  That's
a lot of overhead.

The questions are these.  Can I significantly decrease this overhead
on my server by setting all the users to SHORTHDR?  I know some mailers
used by the subscribers may not take kindly to this.  Any thoughts on
the acceptablility of short headers for most of the potential
subscribers out there?  Has anyone tried this, or have other suggestions
to cut traffic overhead?  I already moderate the group, pruning quoted
material and chopping off those ridiculous .sigs that have become so
popular (why is it that people feel compelled to append their resume
and artistic accomplishments to every single message they send to
anybody?).

Thanks for this, and all the tips.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/music/