Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Sep 1992 18:57:55 +0200
On Mon, 14 Sep 1992 09:02:16 PDT Richard Childers <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>FTP is  an internationally recognized file  transport protocol supported
>on a vast array of different operating systems.

Actually NJE has probably been implemented  on more systems than FTP, but
I'll let that pass since it is  irrelevant. The issue here is not whether
BITNET-only is  better than Internet-only,  but whether a site  with both
types of connectivities has a good  business reason for dropping the one.
In  this present  example, whether  the convenience  of SENDFILE  to/from
major operating systems  justifies the costs, not  whether one completely
loses the  ability to transfer  files. If that  were the case,  the issue
would not even exist.

>If one has a workstation, it takes a window, that's all.

What if one has  access to a BITNET system instead  - statistically not a
unix machine? The cost-per-Joe-user of  a workstation is much higher than
that of  a share of a  mainframe, which itself  is a bit higher  than the
cost of a PC (I am talking  real cost here, not hardware purchase price).
That is  why students, language  teachers, librarians et al  generally do
not get  their own  workstation, but  a terminal  or a  PC. While  FTP is
running, the terminal is not available for other use - students who would
like to work for their assignment have to stand patiently in line. No way
you  will order  a package  before going  to lunch  and find  it in  your
mailbox when  you come back.  Is this service  worth, what, 50  cents per
student with computer access and per year?

  Eric