Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:31:46 -0400
On 1 Jul 2002, at 15:56, Phil Endacott wrote:

>I own a List hosted at St. Johns University and I have no connection with
>St. Johns.

Coincidentally I received an inquiry less than an hour ago from a subscriber
looking for the owner of a list who's sole owner has been bouncing for a
couple of weeks.  The following position was filled in *4 minutes*:

(Begin orphaned-list faq)

The owner ID for the above list is bouncing and attempts to contact
them or a co-owner have failed.  If any SJUOWNER is feeling masochistic
enough to be added to the header, please e-mail me.  Thanks.

I think the general idea here (and feel free to revise this) is to:

a) Confirm the list is viable or have me delete it.
b) Try to locate a valid owner.
c) Have the lists community produce a new owner by methods appropriate
   to their philosophy.  That is, Democrats can vote, Machiavellians
   can poison opponents, some random subscriber can say "How about Pat"?
d) There isn't a "d" as far as I'm concerned but I know that, in the
   past, some of you have been nice enough to assume the role of tech
   support for communities unable or unwilling to provide an owner.

(End orphaned-list faq)