Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 08:58:11 -0500
On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Ken W. Smith wrote:

> On the thread about removing names of our subscribers from IAF.NET -- the
> issue is more complicated than some people realize.
>
>         IAF has my email address.  (I checked.)  I don't mind; there does
> need to be some type of big internet "phone book" and I am willing to put
> my name in it as long as it is not used for bulk mailing.

Then write to them and tell them to include your name.

>         What happens if I am subscribed to your list and you get IAF to
> delete all the names of your subscribers?  Then my name is deleted.  I
> don't want my name deleted; now you are interfering with *my* rights.

I object to the notion that you think it's a "rights" issue that people
don't want their lists mis-used.  In this case, the folks at IAF *knew*
they were mis-using the lists or they would not have been so secretive or
anonymous about their retrieval methods.  You should not subscribe to a
list for the purpose of providing IAF with your address.  If you want them
to list your address, write to them, they will add it.

>         So it is not that simple.  I suspect IAF will refuse, legitimately,
> to delete the names of *others* at your request.

So what you are saying is that once you STEAL something or, at the very
least TAKE IT WITHOUT CONSENT, it is yours to do with as you please even
if the legitimate owners of the information ask for it back.  Great
precedent.

Peter Laws said what can be done now and you even quoted him:

> > > So ... as responsible listowners, maybe we should capture a review of our
> > > lists, submit them to the above address, and demand they be removed ...

I think the issue is more complicated than YOU realize.

Cheers

Mark Hunnibell                  Email: [log in to unmask]
KIDLINK Gopher/WWW Coordinator  http://www.connix.com/~markh/index.html