"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:34:25 -0800
On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Paul Russell wrote:

> A review of the archives of an internal list populated by "data
> processing professionals" showed an even lower usage rate.

By "internal", do you mean that all of the subscribers are part of the
same company or organization?  If so, it should be possible to dictate
signature standards by decree, so if no one uses a standard (whether "-- "
or otherwise), then was it because no-one agreed to a standard, or because
no one asked for a standard to be imposed?

Regarding whether or not people use the "-- " standard, I would think that
more would use it if made aware of it and presented with rational
encouragement.  For example, I began using "-- " myself after having a
computer professional on my mailing list recommend it, and then later
learning more about it on *this* list.  Prior to this, I had not been
aware of the practice.

Relating this by analogy to law: a recent news report exposed general
ignorance of a 20-year old law that requires motorists in Washington State
to carry a trash receptacle.  Rhetorical question: Does that ignorance
mean that the law should not be followed?

Of course, no one has given evidence that there is a "law"/RFC about "--
", so the analogy is imperfect.  Suggestion: why not propose it as a *new*
RFC?