Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:21:48 -0400
At 10:03 PM 4/15/99 -0400, you wrote:

>After sending a subscribe to the Listserv with a reply-to: line I found
>the Listserv was sending its reply to the address given in the FROM: line
>instead of honoring the REPLY-TO: address.  Seems my subscriber's mail
>system was not accepting mail sent to the FROM: address but happily
>received mail sent to his REPLY-TO: address!
>
>IS THIS A BUG in LISTSERV 1.8C for VM?

I don't know what kind of reply you mean, but if it was a confirmation
request then I think Listserv should send it to the same address that it
is about to add to the list.  Otherwise you will have situations where
people will confirm just fine but all the list mail will bounce.  With
the "you have been added" message it's "already too late" but even there,
I don't know that you want people to get that if they won't be able to
get the list mail.  So maybe the real question is, if the From address
is not the same as the Reply-to address, which one should Listserv add
to the list?

Margaret King ([log in to unmask])
Michigan State University