Barbara Passmore <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:33:11 -0400
Thank you. Michael, and also I appreciate  the advice I got offline which
was to allow only small pictures because a lot of people don't have the time
for slow
downloading if they don't have the latest equipment.

But the limit went way higher than what you are speaking of.  A 40 KB photo
took 880 lines.  I found that because I had put myself on review, and the
number of lines in a message will come up when it returns to you for
confirmation.

The Klez.H virus of 131K, that had been rejected and was sent to me as the
putative sender (I had not sent it), had over 1800 lines.  I set the limit
at 1000 lines, which allowed the image to transmit, but the Klez virus would
have been rejected.  Now I have a picture of 50.5 KB that  I will send in
the
next few days and I will temporarily change the limit to 1200 lines;
otherwise the limit will be a little over 40 KB at 1000.  I will try that
for a while.  I am generally relying on the attachment type in general with
the sizlim as something of a backup.

As for the suffix, I used JPEG as the application name, and advised the list
to use .jpg photos.  Only the first two have been posted, both with that
designation and with no difficulty.  Problems may lie in the future.

The comments I have from the list  are mostly from what you would call the
high-end, most knowledgeable birders who don't want to be bothered with
downloads at all.  But a list in my view should consider the less
knowledgeable, and ours is something like a one-room school. K-Ph.D in one
room.

If anyone knows more about viruses that they think I should know, I would
appreciate your sending it, either on or off the list.

Caveat:  Listserv sent a special digest when the two pictures had been sent,
and it came out in code, not in a picture.  I know digest does peculiar
things, and I had hoped it would filter the pictures.  I have an account of
mine set to digest so I can see how things are doing in that respect.  When
I saw the result,  I advised all of the 26 people on digest to set to index
and posted that to the general list as well.   As of now, only one from the
digest has made the change to index.  Most of the people on my list have not
had much experience with Listserv.  A few only.

I may be sitting on a time-bomb and just not know it.

Thanks for your help and I will leave the matter open for further comments.

Barbara Passmore