Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 22:07:53 -0500
On Fri, 30 Jun 1995 10:25:05 -0500, Gail Barnes wrote:
>Can anyone tell my why a post I sent to vm.marist.edu is being bounced
>back to me by the [log in to unmask]
>Gail.

and

On Fri, 30 Jun 1995 13:22:00 EDT, Peter M. Weiss replied
>Yes: because the mail system at mainstreet.opm.gov is NOT compliant
>with the RFCs.  It should have sent it to [log in to unmask]
>
>Feel free to forward that bounce to that Marist address indicating that
>your recent distribution bounced and that the list-owner needs
>to delete the offending userid from the subscriber list.

Also, PLEASE bounce those things right back to the offending postmaster
with a request to properly configure their system (to return undelivered
messages to the envelope MAIL FROM: rather than to an internal header
address as required by the RFCs) so that delivery failure messages get sent
to someone who can deal with the problem.

Many, perhaps most, list readers are mystified by misdirected delivery
failure messages.  The result is almost always wasted bandwidth in a
variety of ways.

[I cc'd this to [log in to unmask] in the hope that their mail
deamon will get repaired]

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax