Lissa Mosley <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 16:09:24 -0400
I have quickly come to the realization that I *did* indeed over-react to
the PEACENET subscription.  They appear to be a good organization with
good intentions. Moreover, gatewaying lists without contacting the list
owners seems to be a standard procedure that I was simply unaware of.

However, I can't help but think that when a list is is set up with
SEND=PRIVATE in their header, it is not appropriate for an organization
to, without permission, allow their members to post through that gateway.
I don't believe that that is what PEACENET does, so I'm speaking
hypothetically.  Such an action would remove a basic element of
control from listowners and force them to take a rather heavy-handed
approach in dealing with problem postsers.

Does anyone know whether there are gateways that do operate in that
fashion?

Lissa Mosley