Dan Carnahan <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 10:16:10 PST
Regarding prevention (rather discouragement) of disruptive behavior in
discussion groups, we generally present and agree upon a "conduct of
behavior" at the very beginning.  I can see some value in using this
for electronic discussion groups also.  I am currently establishing
several new lists for my company, and my plan is to send to new sub-
scribers a statement of purpose for the list and our expectation of the
type (conduct) of communication that is contributed to the list.  The
statement will also say that a member may participate only if he/she
abides by our expectations of conduct.  If a member does become abusive,
I will resend the "statement" and gently remind him of his terms of
list membership.  I'll remove a member if he continues to be abusive.

Actually, I don't expect any problems, because my lists will be company-
private, and nearly all the people I've known here are respectful of
each other and conduct themselves in a professional manner.

Concerning litigation, I would think that a list owner who presented a
clear, explicit statement of his/her list's purpose and conduct would have a
strong position from which to defend his/her actions against an abusive
list member.

Thanks,
Dan.

Daniel L. Carnahan, Senior Systems Analyst, [log in to unmask]
Pacific Bell, 1611 Clayton Road, Room 238, Concord, CA 94520 USA
Office:510-671-3713   Pager:510-945-5337   Fax:510-676-0882