Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 3 Aug 1996 02:55:47 +0200
On Sat, 3 Aug 1996 01:36:00 GMT Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>    (1)  Their results.  This issue  was discussed  twice in  this forum
>        during the past 18 months. Nothing has changed. 18 months to fix
>        this is more than "light-years" in the networking world;

Do you  know what operating system  and hardware AOL is  using to process
and store  mail for its subscribers?  Do you know what  percentage of the
programmers on  the market have used  this system before, not  to mention
being able to write  working, reliable code for it? Do  you have any idea
what it is like to work in a fast growing company? For bonus points, name
a large  Swedish company in  the financial sector  that is facing  a very
similar challenge in spite of making  so much money that they barely know
what to do with it.

>    (2) AOLs Postmaster is asking for solutions. To me, it sounds funny.
>        Perhaps, just a PR-trick.

As  you  saw, he  was  surprised  to hear  you  suggest  something I  had
previously told him not to do  under any circumstances, especially as you
sounded like you had discussed it with me before.

In case you wonder, I'm not saying all this for the sake of argument, and
I don't even  own AOL stock. Believe  it or not, AOL  takes LISTSERV very
seriously and often asks  L-Soft for advice. So, I know  a bit more about
this situation  than you  do, and  I have reason  to believe  that you're
accusing AOL unfairly. I also don't  think that flaming AOL here is going
to accomplish  anything. The best  course of action  at this point  is to
drop the issue and wait.

  Eric