Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:52:24 -0800
--On Sunday, March 21, 1999, 13:16:20 -0500 Alan S. Dobkin
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --On Saturday, March 20, 1999, 1:55 PM -0800 Clark Pickett
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:57:31 -0700, Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> >> Both of these domains have been changed to *@CWIX.COM due to MCI having
> >> to divest their internet business unit with the Worldcom merger.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this affects other MCI-related domains?  I just
did a
> > scan of our lists, and I found the following other variations:
> >
> > @MCI.COM
> > @MCIMAIL.COM
> > @MCIWORLD.COM
> > @LOYOLANET.CAMPUS.MCI.NET
>
> According to a member of CWIX technical support, only these four
> domains were affected:
>
> MCI2000.COM
> INTERNETMCI.COM
> MCIONE.COM
> MCIMAIL.COM
>
> A few quick tests confirmed the first three, but I have been unable
> to confirm MCIMAIL.COM so far.  Actually, it seems like he may be
> wrong about this one.  Maybe someone else can confirm or deny....
>
> I would infer from this that MCI.COM, MCIWORLD.COM, and all of the
> *.CAMPUS.MCI.NET domains are still operating as they did before.
>
> Alan
>
> --
> Alan S. Dobkin, Operating Systems Analyst
> Windows NT Group, Internet/Intranet Services
> University Systems Support, Emory University ITD

Thanks for checking.  I figured that someone would have some additional
information.

I have done some more checking myself.  It appears that MCI.COM and
MCIWORLD.COM are both domains related to the new (merged) company MCI
WorldCom.

If you go to the URL http://www.mci.com/, you are automatically
transferred to the URL http://www.mciworldcom.com/.  It appears that
employee addresses are at either MCI.COM or WCOM.COM.

If you go to the URL http://www.mciworld.com/, you are automatically
transferred to the URL http://home.mciworld.com/.  This is the home page
of their current Internet service.  It appears that subscriber addresses
are MCIWORLD.COM.  Per the website, it appears that this service is
currently limited to commercial businesses.  However, they state that they
are currently in the process of developing a new Internet service for the
home, to be available within the next few months.

There is a totally separate domain at http://www.mcimail.com/, which is
also part of MCI WorldCom.  However, it appears that they sell Internet
access under the domain name MCIMAIL.COM.

So, it appears Alan's assessment is correct.  CWIX's tech support was
wrong about MCIMAIL.COM, but correct about MCI2000.COM, INTERNETMCI.COM
and MCIONE.COM; and that MCI.COM, MCIWORLD.COM, and all of the
*.CAMPUS.MCI.NET domains are still operating as they did before.

==
Best wishes,

Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Co-Administrator, EEAC Web Site and mailing lists
http://www.eeadopt.org