Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:38:01 -0400
This is probably a dumb question. I've not thought to make the
archives of the two listserv lists I manage private, because it
hadn't dawned on me that those email addresses were available
for harvesting.  I'll make them private now (presumably slamming
this particular barn door long after the stalls are empty), but
I don't understand Eric's statement:

> In 14.3, all e-mail addresses are masked in public archives
> until you log in, which obviously spam harvesters cannot do.
> With this version it is entirely safe to have public archives.

We're running 1.8e.  It looks to me as though anybody going to

http://listserv.unb.ca/archives/stlhe-l.html

could just harvest the email addresses.  Not so? What's 14.3?

And one other thing.  If my email address were harvested from a
list archive, how would I know that and why would the list be
affected?

Of course I'd prefer not to expose subscribers to that, but if
it had already happened, how would I ever know?

-- Russ
St. Thomas University
http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/