Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:23:50 -0600
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:14:02 -0400, "Wohlgemuth, Mike"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I thought that the listserv smtp service was only supposed to accept
>mail delivered to the local address and that then it sends mail accepted
>to the list to it's members ...

Correct.  LISTSERV's SMTP Listener will firstly accept mail for the domain
name listed in site.cfg  for  NODE=  and also for additional domain names
(if any) listed in MYDOMAIN=.  So if the incoming mail in question is
addressed to a slighly different domain name, SMTPL will not accept it at
all.

Secondly, SMTPL looks at the left side of the @ and here the address must
match an existing LISTNAME on the server or be one of the variations on the
listname (listname-request, owner-listname, listname-subscribe-request,
listname-signoff-request, etc.) or be LISTSERV itself.  Again, if the mail
is not addressed to a valid local list address, SMTPL will not accept it at
all.

Thirdly, SMTPL is totally incapable of sending any outgoing mail.  It can
only receive incoming mail and will accept only mail meeting the above
address requirements.

So, the cc: and bcc: mails you are wondering about are not passing through
SMTPL/LISTSERV to get to people.  They are travelling by a different mail
path, not under control of LISTSERV.  It should be fairly obvious then that
there are no possible configuration changes to be made in LISTSERV that can
have any effect on something completely separate.

In general, mail that is cc:'d or bcc:'d to different domain addresses is
split off at the sender's mail server for delivery to those other domains
and never passes anywhere near LISTSERV.